[November 6, 2007]

Tonight I started on the aft seat floors. The seats are attached to the floors by using hinges. Each side had three levels of inclining, set by moving the seatback to a different hinge on the floor. I made all 6 sets of hinges, removing the center two eyelets in order to facilitate putting in the hinge pin (similar to how the flap hinge works).

Next I drilled one hinge with the dimensions provided by the drawings. I only did a #40 hole, as I will enlarge the hole later on once these are backdrilled to the seat floor.

I used the one "master drilled" hinge to backdrill all of the other hinges. No sense in doing a bunch of unnecessary measurements!

I then backdrilled the hinges to the floors at the specified locations.

See any issues here? The two holes seem to be really close together.

Here is the issue. The solid red line indicates where the rivet line is for the seat floor ribs. The arrows point to the #40 holes I backdrilled from the hinges. These will interfere with the flange of the seat ribs! After I discovered this, I saw that a lot of other builders had the same issue.

My solution worked out pretty nice, if I say so myself. I am not worried about the aftmost hinge, as it will have a rivet that goes to the seat rib. The two forward hinges however should have some sort of rivet put in. I decided to countersink the bottom of the aft seat skin for a AN426AD3 rivet in the offending locations. This will cause the seat to lay flush against the seat rib flange.

The two rivets on each of the front two hinges were backriveted. The real solution is to not use Van's dimensions for where to put the rivet holes. You really need to lay everything out. I think I have two holes to nowhere on the aft hinge, but those will magically disappear before I prime and paint this sucker with some filler.



Last Modified: May 19, 2024