[May 4, 2015]

Off with 1/2 of the wing root fairing.

I cut the Static tubing and inserted a "Tee" fitting.

I am using 3/16" tubing for the AOA lines - and yes, I know, my tubing should be properly color coded to be white.

Thank god for my conduit runs! They made life easy to get the Static pressure up front.

This is where the static line ended up at.

Next up was tapping the AOA port. Same deal as the static port - 1/4" to 3/16" union.

Instead of routing this line through the grommets on the forward side of the wing ribs, I though it would be easiest to just add it in the conduit.

Ah, all three tubes in one location!

Next up was putting some nutplates on the AOA box. Yes, I am well aware my edge distances are terrible.

And AOA box is mounted under the pilots seat!

The location is perfect. I am thrilled so far.

All plumbed up. I know from the way the photo looks, the green pitot tube looks kinked. I made sure to heat up the tubing and bend it into this orientation -- it's not kinked.

And then I went flying and collected over 10,000 data points recorded at 100 ms intervals (10 samples a second). Good news is my airspeed looked great! Climbout at 100 kts, a stall, then back home.

More good news - altitude seemed to work well. It's a little on the low side, but that is because it is calibrated for 29.92....and the barometric pressure today was 30.20.

OK, here is the not-so-good. I used a differential pressure sensor between my AOA sensor port and the static port. I assumed the AOA port would receive positive pressure the entire flight. However, this is not true. Right after takeoff, the AOA port was in a vacuum compared to the static port. You can see for most of the flight, the data was flatlined at the bottom, because the sensor is not able to read vacuums properly. I am going to have to do more research into exactly how the pressure port for the AOA works. This is definitely a perplexing outcome I was not expecting.



Last Modified: May 19, 2024