[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[September 16, 2008]


I broke out some alodine and dipped the oil door backing plate and the two Comm antenna backing plates. Electricity conducts through alodine, so this makes it a good corrosion inhibitor to assure a good ground for the antenna.


One thing that bothered me was how big I made the cutouts for the gear legs. There will probably be some fairing that goes over this, but I figured I will test out my new epoxy and fiberglass skills on this.


First I made a backing board out of thick paper (file folder) covered in packing tape to keep it from sticking.


I taped the hell out of it from the outside. Its pretty tight against the cowl.


I mixed up some flox and spread it in the area I wanted filled. The flox really contoured to the inside of the cowl. Once this is dry, I figure I will put a layup or two on the inside to make it a little stronger.


Finally I masked off the canopy frame to paint the glare shield. Cleveland makes a nice kit to put a vinyl layer on this area, but I wanted something simpler and cheaper. Can't get much simpler than flat black spray paint! I might paint tomorrow...I haven't decided yet.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017