[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[May 10, 2008]


I had a great day visiting with a local RV-8 builder who is just about done. I got a lot of great ideas I can use on the rest of the project.

Part of mounting the solenoids is using an existing hole in the firewall (it has a rivet that would need to be removed) to hold down one of the legs of a nutplate. That means I will need to be able to accurately drill the bolt hole after the two legs are drilled. To do this I drilled out the center of the nutplate to 1/4" to pilot the drill bit.


Here are the two rivets that need to be removed.


After the "special" nutplate was drilled to the firewall, I used it to backdrill a 1/4" hole.


After a little work and a lot of measuring, I had all four 1/4" holes drilled and the doubler drilled to the firewall. The doubler gets installed behind the firewall, but it's just easier to deal with it here.


Using the pop rivet dimple die I dimpled all the #40 holes I could. The two holes the arrows point to indicate where I needed to countersink the holes for rivets.


I wasn't expecting to paint today because the weather was complete crap in the morning. However, it all cleared up and I did a small batch of odds and ends. I basically have a full shelf of stuff to be painted, so this made it smaller....a little.


Part of my paint batch was the doubler I made up. How often does it happen I can fabricate, paint and install a part in the same day?


Next was installing the relay and solenoid. As expected (and called out int he plans), the master relays mount interferes with the starters.


A little grinding fixed that problem.


The master and starter solenoid are connected together using two strips of 1/2" wide 063 copper. This isn't included in the kit or firewall forward package, so you gotta get it from Van's separately. Anyways, the length of mine needed to be 3 1/16" instead of the 2 7/8" like the diagram called for. Glad I double checked!


And here they are installed temporarily. The fit is perfect. What a nice solution from Van's instead of using a wire.


Next I mounted up the transducer manifold. The bottom is for fuel pressure, middle is for oil pressure and the top is unused. I will probably use the top to route the manifold pressure through.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017