[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[March 10, 2007]


Today was a very long day in the shop. I was trying my best to get all of the aileron parts primed, but that didn't pan out because right when I finally finished prepping everything, the skies turned gray and it looked like it could rain at any moment. Oh well, tomorrow is supposed to be nice enough to prime.

Anyways, I wanted to rough up the inside of the galvanized pipe to promote adhesion of the primer as well as get any boelube out of there that was left over, so I came up with this contraption. I stapled two pieces of emery cloth to a dowel.


Then I chucked the other end of the dowel in my cordless driver and put it into the galvanized pipe. I had some doubts to how much this would do, but when I was done with one pass, the sandpaper was worn down to almost just paper. Also, when I blew the pipe out with a shot of air, a bunch of dust came out. Probably all of the grit from the sandpaper, but enough to satisfy my need to do something to the inside of the pipe. I am putting this down as a good idea in my book, only because I can't prove otherwise.


This took absolutely forever. Deburring the aileron sucks because the spars are a bear with all of the lightening holes. The nose ribs are also terrible because of how thick they are. Anyways, its done now.


I prepped the aft skin of the ailerons so I can primed the area where the nose skin overlaps. This is probably not necessary at all, but I was bored waiting for the the rain to pass through. Definitely can't hurt.


Finally I decided to prime the inside of the counterwight pipe. First I taped off all of the holes so I didn't make a freakin mess with AKZO pouring out of everywhere, then I poured a bunch of AKZO into the tube while twisting it. Then I just spun the tube to distribute it evenly. Finally, I blew it out with the air gun.
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017