[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[January 27, 2007]


I had the goal set to get the skins primed today. I had a lot of work ahead of me before that could happen. I started the day by making the scarf joint on the left skins. This one didn't turn out as nice as the right one. I think I was too aggresive on what I took off, and it wasn't as subtle in the transition to the normal thickness of the skin. Oh well, a little filler and no one will know. Heck, when the skins are on, I don't even know. One thing that caught me off guard was when I was deburring the scarf joint, my scotchbrite pad got caught on the corner and bent it real easily. I was able to take out the bend with the seamer, but be careful!

When I deblued the left skins, I saw some corrosion on one of the skins. I sanded it down with the emery cloth and that removed it.



All of my skins sunbathing in this nice January day. With the sun directly hitting the skins and the low humidity, these guys dried off in no time after I alumipreped them.


I was racing the clock to get these things primed. I lucked out big time too with how much primer I mixed up. I thought that 11 oz would be more than plenty to cover this job, but I basically had less than an once when I finished. Half way through I knew it was going to be close, so I turned back the mixture a little on the gun to conserve as much as possible. Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't skimp, but I was real close. The sun sat while I finished up the last skin.


Finally tonight I started deburring the ribs - 19 holes per rib, 17 ribs per wing, 2 wings, 2 sides of every hole to debur -- 2500 debur operations total. And that is just the ribs. I also looked over the rest of the wing's rivets and drilled out 3 of the rib to spar rivets because I didn't like how they turned out. I am absolutelty exhausted after all of this work. Time for a well deserved beer.
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017