[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[May 20, 2009]


Wow...almost another week since my last post. I think I have been home maybe 2 days out of the last 7. Seems everything I have has some issues that need to be taken care of. Oh well. After I finished fixing up a old outboard engine tonight (successfully, I might add), I figured I might as well put some extra epoxy on the inside of the cowl. The way I originally put on the epoxy was with a credit card. It worked OK, but it was messy and left a lot of extra resin that would need to be sanded off. Tonight I was going to experiment by applying a micro solution to the cowl with a brush.

My original mixture was 2 pumps of epoxy resin and hardener, and 4 heaping teaspoons of microbaloons. The first observation was the slurry was WAY too thick to brush on easily. I have heard of people diluting epoxy with acetone, so I mixed in some acetone to thin out the micro. Sure enough that did the trick! I was brushing the micro on with easy. However, it seemed to get harder and harder to do. Then it dawned on me the acetone was evaporating. I diluted my mixture a little more and kept on chugging. I did about 1/3 of the cowl tonight. I don't want to do the whole thing this way in case it's a disaster. Tomorrow I will know if the experiment worked or not. I really hope it does, because it really made it super easy. Time will tell. Worst case is I do a lot of sanding!
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017