[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[May 9, 2008]


I am still trying to wrap up the canopy, and getting close to doing so finally! On the bottom of the side rails there are some markings from where Van's used a shrinker on it.


I used the drum sander in the dremel get it knocked down and then sanded it smooth. Looks great now.


A RV-7 flier lent me his shrinker to fix the fit of the top skin.


I marked on the top skin where I had a gap and then shrunk in that area. I started lightly to see how much I needed.


The shrinker does a good job of messing up the skin, but this will be all sanded/fiberglassed/filled/primed so no one will ever know.


After a few iterations, I got a PERFECT fit. To hell with trying to shim the front top skin, the shrinker is the way to go!


Next I wanted to rivet the two C-602 channel halves together. However, I notice there was some play in how they fit when I put it together on the bench. If I riveted it together not perfect, I could screw up the rear width of the canopy frame. So, I decided to take the rollbar off and rivet the top joint in place to get the perfect result. No big deal, and I feel good about how the result will be.


Dunno why I took this pic, but it is all the rivets I got set while the canopy frame was in the fuselage.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017