[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[February 6, 2007]


It was another cold nigtht out in the garage. The air temp heats up fairly quickly, but the slab stays very cold. The only part of my body that has a issue with it are my feet, which are still frozen as I write this hours later. I started out today finishing dimpling the rear spar. I then went to "clean up" the dimples on the rear spar by using a countersink cage. I made a couple of test pieces out of scrap with dimples to simulate how much I needed to clean up. I had some issues with the dimples not fitting properly. The didn't come close enough together. Looking closer at the issue, the dimples weren't deep enough. I adjusted the squeezer and redimpled and things started to look good again. Then it struck me -- probably all of the dimples on the spar and rib are underdriven. DOH! I was thinking about leaving it alone, but now was the time to fix it, instead of seeing something that didn't look right 1/2 way through the wings. I could kick myself for making such a rookie mistake, but I am glad I caught it when I did. It only took an hour to fix and I have one less thing to worry about.

Next was onto cleaning up the dimples on the rear spar. I started with a countersink cage, carefully calibrated for fitting a dimple perfectly flush. I did that for a while but I had issues with getting the cage to sit flat on the spar. So I tried a deburring bit in the deburring tool and that was the trick. Two quick spins with the deburring tool and I got the exact results as the countersink cage, minus the complications.


Then I spot primed the spars with GBP-988 to cover the countersinks. I was going to use AKZO, but it was too much setup and cleanup for this job.



I am 99.9999% finished with the ribs and spars, FINALLY. Things should start coming together quickly now.
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017