[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[January 14, 2007]


First thing on tap tonight was to install the fuel pickup tube. I bought the premade ones from Van's. I think they were $15, and that is not such a bad deal considering they have a nice wide open screen on them, plus all of the AN hardware. And the B Nuts were already drilled for the service bulletin safety wiring. My only issue with these is when Van's flared them, they did a crappy job. I don't think they have a great faring tool or they don't lube it up right, because there were all sort of ridges on the flare. I knocked them down with a light dusting of sandpaper and scotchbrite.


I got the pickup at the lowest possible point on the tank, strattling the holes on the tank drain. I could of put it more to the left, but then the screen would be chafing the prosealed over rivet. The only possible issue I could see here is the pickup is directly over the drain hole. I can't think of any disadvantages to this. If anything, I can think that it is an advantage because when you sump the tank, you would cause any thing clogging the mesh to be sucked out.
Update: Don't put the fuel pickup tube over the drain hole. I asked for opinions on putting it here on the VAF's and one person pointed out that there could be interference with the drain plug plunger. When I put in the plunger, sure enough there was interference. The new picture is on the next day page


After the position was figured out, I torqued the nut down to the indicated value.


Next was to safety wire the B-nut onto the antirotation bracket. This is my first time working with safety wire, so it took a number of iterations to get it right. Plus I had crappy access to how the holes lined up. While taking one of my attempts out, I poked the safety wire in one part of my finger and it came out in another spot. I knew immediately that I did it - not because of the pain but because my finger was stuck to the wire now. I had to walk around my shop to get the needle nose pliers with the access plate stuck to my finger. After this incident, I quickly put on goggles.


After 4-5 attempts, it came out really nice



Next was bending the vent tube to the highest part of the tank. This is the result.


And this is the new tool I made to make the bend -- 1/4" open end wrench and a #2 shorty screwdriver.

Lastly, I worked on the rear baffle. I tested all of the countersunk rivet holes and cleaned up the ones that had the rivets too proud. Then I wiped up all of the excess sealant that was here and there.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: November 11, 2017