[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[January 9, 2007]


Tonight I set out to do "at least one" rib on the tanks. Turns out I was able to bang out two of them staying up a little later than I usually do. I used 1.65 oz of proseal per rib - a little more than usual to make a bigger fillet on these guys. I didn't want to skimp on these two ribs. Nothing really noteworthy about doing these ribs. One issue I had to deal with was the squeezer slipping off of the rivets because everything is slippery. It only affected one bad enough to cause it to be drilled out and redone.


On the inboard rib I covered up the fittings with tape to keep them clean. It didn't occur to me until about 5 minutes before I started that I would need the no-hole yokes to be able to get the rivets around the fittings. No biggie -- one less die to clean.


The only part I was nervous about doing tonight was shooting and bucking these AN470AD4-8's. I have only tried to do this solo once before on the horizontal stabilizer, and the outcome wasn't pretty. I padded the inside of the skin with a bunch of wide tape and the bucking bar was just able to sit on the skin and work its magic. Really a no brainer.

For the nose angle attachment part, I used a syringe and pushed as much sealant as I could around the perimeter. A crapload went in there!


Once I was done the inboard rib, I moved the vent line as far inboard as I could to make room to work with the outboard rib.


The outboard rib came out nicely.


I tapes over this to keep in clean in case. The worst part about tonight was cleaning up all of the clecos. It seemed like 50 or so clecos total, and each one of them was covered in sealant. If someone came up with a chemical bath you could soak the clecos in and voila, they are clean, they could make a lot of money with the builders out there. I know I would jump on it in a second. But then again, all of this is a builder right of passage that the quickbuilders don't get to do.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: November 11, 2017