[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[November 21, 2006]


A lot of steady work today. The first thing I needed to do was get the twists out of the left wing before I match drilled the skin. I put two plumb bobs on the tip and root main spar and measured the distance from the line to the rear spar. 1 7/32" exactly was my measurement, and I was able to get it within at least a 64th of a inch. I was very happy with how it turned out.I then match drilled the left wing. Man there are a lot of holes. I counted 140 clecos in the wing, one in every 4 holes. Do the math, then multiply by 4 to cover all of the sides. Yeah, a lot of deburring!

Next was onto drilling out the wing walk doubler for the right side. Then I clecoed on the top skins. All was well until I was looking at my leftover 3/32" clecos. Dammit! Big long holiday weekend coming up and I don't have enough clecos! I had the original 325 from Avery, plus I got an extra 75 from Cleaveland. I think that 500 is the magic number for both wings concurrently.

Lastly, I put my AKZO inside. I read somewhere that the minimum storage temp for that stuff is 40 degrees. It hasn't gotton that cold yet, but it is getting close.

Plumb bob on the root. 1 7/32" for me from my line to the top of the rear spar back.


The right top skin clecoed on. I still have to make up my brackets for the rear spar attachment points.


OK, my weekend is officially saved! Within 30 minutes of my plea to borrow clecos for the weekend, a local RV-8 builder, Salty, emailed me back and said I can pick them up tomorrow after work. It's this kind of generousity that makes building an RV all the sweeter - the RV community is amazing!
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017