[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[January 16, 2016]


I ordered my NavWorx ADS600-EXP ADS-B transceiver back in March or April of 2015. I understood NavWorx was experiencing some growing pains, but in late November I was finally fed up with getting the run around from them. After threatening to cancel my order, I promptly received my shipment tracking number, and a few days later my ADS-B transceiver was in my hands. This sucker is mighty small. The footprint is roughly the size of two dollar bills next to each other.


It took me a solid 4-6 hours staring under my panel for the best place to mount the ADS-B transceiver. I finally elected to installed it underneath of my map box. Every other location behind my panel required a good amount of relocation of existing items. The only item I needed to relocate for this was my Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver.


In this location, the ADS-B transceiver shouldn't be in the way of the passenger.


I used flush screws inside the map box to maintain the bottom of the map box to be smooth in order to easily put charts and other items into the map box.


The next step was rewiring the transponder connector. The NavWorx box requires two inputs. One is the altitude encoding serial line which feeds the transponder, and the other is the output of the transponder to tell the NavWorx device which squawk code the GTX-327 is transmitting.


After removing the transponder, I unscrewed the two small screws holding the DB25 connector to the back of the transponder tray.


I soldered on a pig tail to the existing input to the GTX-327 transponder from the GRT EFIS which tells the transponder the airplanes current pressure altitude.


One thing I wanted to try was a GPS splitter - this ingenious device allows you to split a single GPS antenna between multiple GPS receivers. In this case, I wanted to re-use the Glisson GPS antenna I had already mounted under the cowl to drive both the NavWorx ADS-B unit and also continue to drive the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver. I bought this used off of EBay for $35, so I was interested to see how well it worked.


I temporarily wired up the NavWorx ADS600-EXP transceiver to make sure it was connected correctly. I connected to it through a Windows 10 laptop using Wifi. The UAT console I downloaded from www.navworx.com was very intuitive to use to set my call sign, altitude encoder and transponder type.


I was also happy to see my GPS reception was fantastic through the GPS splitter. That thing really worked well!!! Money well spent because it was less than a new GPS antenna, and I don't have to worry about finding real-estate for yet another GPS antenna.


The final thing I did today was mount my GPS splitter to the back of the map box. The only remaining items I have left are to finalize all of the wiring, and mount my UAT antenna.

[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017