[<<Prev]
[Next>>]
[September 1, 2006]


I got my workbench put back together and the shop is being put back together ever so slowly. I don't have as much room as I thought I did (who ever does have enough room?) so I am making some changes to what I have. I bought a craftman 12" bandsaw with stand off of the local classifieds for $100 the other day. However, it is a beast in size. My dad offered to take it for free off my hands. Oh well, at least I have a nice bandsaw to use that's 20 mins away. Other modifications to the shop setup I am making is integrating my bench grinder onto the base of my drill press. I can't recall once when I have had to use both at the same time. With a little woodwork, it should be a sweet setup!

Also, I am making progress on getting my electricity upgraded. The house came with 100 amp service, and every breaker space in the panel was used up. I called up my electrician, Chris Thomas of Glyndon, MD to come out and help me out. Within a day he came and put in a nice 200 amp panel and redid all of the wiring. Opening up the panel cover reveals nothing but perfection in how the wire is dressed and routed. One thing that I didn't like about the finished product was the piece of wood that the panel was mounted on. It could of been a lot better and I wasn't happy with it. Chris fully offered to come out and help me put it on some plywood, but I could do it myself, at my own pace and get something I was happy with. So promptly after getting my new panel, I took it off it its mounting board and took the old mounting board off. Behind the old board the cinder blocks weren't waterproofed and had some holes in it. I got some hydrollic cement from the store (5 minute cure time!) and patched the holes and then brushed 2 coats of waterproofing on. I them got a nice piece of 3/4" plyboard and some tapcon concrete screws. 1/2 way through this mounting process I realized that my concrete bit was dull. Oh well, enought for the day!

Last but not least, I have also made some advancements in my air compressor purchase. Originally, I was set on a 60 gallon husky Oil Lubed compressor from Home Depot. It was on sale from $429 to $399 and I had a 20% coupon to being the price down to $320 or so. However, my dad, who works for Quincy Compressor, got a nice price for a Quincy Compressor with the same (if not better) specs. The price was more, but my dad owes me big for all the computer work I do for him, so we are cutting a deal of some sort. Also, I am getting some aluminum piping for the air supply. There is this neat snap together piping called TransAir that is really awesome. Besides it being aluminum (no deterioration to speak of) it has really nice fittings so when you need a drop, it actually grabs the air from the top of the pipe in the loop, so moisture stays out of it. When I get around to installing it, I will write up something more on how it works.
[<<Prev]
[Next>>]

http://RVplane.com

Last Modified: September 4, 2017